Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fiesta Shawl

In the past, I've thought of crocheted shawls as sort of little old lady-ish. Once I started crocheting, I realized there were so many patterns and so many ways to make a shawl or wrap that it didn't have to be that way. Nevertheless, my first shawl is a little old fashioned on purpose.


I made this shawl using the Morning Has Broken pattern, which is available free on Ravelry (you'll have to sign up for an account). In fact, I liked how it looked in the photos from the pattern, that I used the same yarn, Lion Brand Homespun in Fiesta. The yarn is bulky weight and I used a size L hook, so the shawl worked up very quickly. I love the colors in this variegated yarn, which is also very soft and warm. So warm, that it offsets the open stitching to make the shawl very warm. It's definitely something I'll wear mostly in winter.

I'd like to make myself a wrap or two for spring and summer as well - maybe something I could wear in the evening over sleeveless shirts. Does anyone have any favorite patterns or materials for spring/summer?

2 comments:

  1. HELP . . . I'm struggling with Row 1 of this pattern.
    Ch. 4. In 4th ch from hook dc, (ch1,dc)3 times...

    I understand the ch1, that comes next, but WHERE do I insert the hook for the dc? Am I putting ALL the stitches in the 4th ch from the hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all the stitches for row 1 are in the same chain (4th ch from hook). The shawl grows in a triangle starting from the center and this sets up that shape.

      Delete