Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kindle Cover Pattern

I received both my first crochet supplies and a Kindle for Christmas. Naturally, I wanted to crochet a cover for my Kindle, but I couldn't find any pattern that was exactly what I wanted, so I decided to create my own.


I used Caron Simply Soft Solids in Blue Mint for the body of the cover and Pistachio for the contrast stitching and pocket. I wanted to add an earphone pocket for listening to audiobooks, but I wanted it to be round to coordinate with the button. Since creating a round pattern from scratch was a little too advanced for me, I used the Loopy Flower Coaster pattern by James Davis for the pocket.

Crochet Kindle Cover



Materials:
Approximately 80 yards worsted weight yarn in color A
Small amount of worsted weight yarn in color B (for contrast stitching and pocket if desired)
Shank button with  1" diameter
Crochet hook size H
Yarn needle

Foundation: Chain 26 using color A.

Row 1: Hdc in third chain from hook and in each chain across. Chain 2. Turn. (24 hdc)
Rows 2 - 48: Hdc in each stitch across. Chain 2. Turn.
Row 49*: Hdc in first 10 stitches across. Chain 4. Skip 4 hdc. Hdc in remaining 10 stitches across. Chain 2. Turn.
Row 50: Hdc in first ten hdc across. Hdc in each of 4 chain stitches. Hdc in remaining 10 stitches across. Chain 2. Turn.
Rows 51: Hdc in each stitch across. Chain 2. Turn.
Row 52: Hdc in each stitch across. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

* This is based on a button with a 1" diameter. Adjust the number of chain stitches and skipped stitches to accommodate the button you plan to use.

Assembly: Fold finished crochet piece so that row 1 lines up with row 45. Using yarn needle and color B, begin whip stitching through front and back at bottom left corner moving up the body of the piece. When you reach the end of the front, continue whip stitching along the sides and top of the flap to create contrast edging around to the other side. Continue whip stitching through front and back layers moving down to the bottom right corner. Using yarn needle and color A, attach button in appropriate location to fit through button hole.

This pattern does not include the pocket pictured because it is not my own design. If you want to add a pocket exactly like mine, use the link above to access that pattern. You could also stitch a square or rectangle of any size you need to hold earphones, notepad, or other items and attach it to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment