Friday, March 30, 2012

Ukranian Netting

Perhaps my favorite bead work technique, hand-woven netting uses a needle, thread, and seed beads to create intricate patterns. Russia and the Ukraine are particularly known for this kind of bead work, so I decided to make a necklace using some traditional colors and patterns from that region.


I made this necklace using size 11 Czech glass seed beads in matte black, opaque red, and matte silver-lined gold from the pattern Netted Diamonds by Maria Rypan.


Like several of my other favorite netting patterns, this one uses the ratio of the beads in the top of each row to those in the bottom to give the necklace a natural curve.


A loop and toggle closure is my preferred technique for finishing woven bead necklaces. I find it's more secure since it can be created continuously from the same thread and beads as the rest of the piece. I also like to alternate the bead colors on the clasp, just to give it a little something of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment